- Some beautiful beetroots, straight from the allotment
- Juice of 1 freshly squeezed lemon
- Some sunflower seeds
- Some Pumpkin seeds
- A little salt
- A little pepper
- Some olive oil
- Grate the beetroot and put into a big mixing bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and pour on some olive oil.
- Add a wee pinch of salt and a little pepper (not too much though, you want it subtle, like).
- Toast the sunflower and pumpkin seeds in a dry flying pan, along with a little salt (the pumpkin seeds should be popping a bit, but don't burn them).
- Serve with the toasted seeds on top.
I love this salad and it also works well with carrots. Don't spare the lemon juice, as this makes it taste nice and fruity - the olive oil will tone down the acidity a treat. It'll keep in the fridge for a day or two.